The Lord of the Rings Boxed Set:50th Anniversary edition
Four-volume paperback boxed set containing J.R.R. Tolkien’s classic masterpiece, together with The Lord of the Rings: A Reader's Companion, an annotated guide to all three parts of the Book of the Century.
Since it was first published in 1954, The Lord of the Rings has been a book people have treasured. Steeped in unrivalled magic and otherworldliness, its sweeping fantasy has touched the hearts of young and old alike. One hundred million copies of its many editions have been sold around the world, and occasional collectors’ editions become prized and valuable items of publishing.
Now, to celebrate the 50th anniversary of its first publication, the text has been fully restored with almost 400 corrections – with the full co-operation of Christopher Tolkien – making it the definitive version of the text, and as close as possible to the version that J.R.R. Tolkien wanted.
In addition to now having the definitive version of the text, this paperback set also includes a companion volume, The Lord of the Rings: A Reader's Companion, a unique annotated guide to the text, which will enhance the reader's enjoyment and understanding of the book of the 20th century.
- ”Extraordinarily imaginative, and wholly exciting.”The Times
- ”The story itself is superb.”Observer
- ”A most remarkable feat.”Guardian
- ”Masterpiece? Oh yes.”Evening Standard
- ”An astonishing imaginative tour de force.”Daily Telegraph
- ”A story magnificently told.”New Statesman
- ”Tolkien was a storyteller of genius.”Literary Review
- ”Amongst the greatest works of imaginative fiction of the twentieth century.”Sunday Telegraph